Sunday, January 24, 2010

introduction of goats, alpacas, and Bear


32 degrees and very, very windy this am. I took some pictures while I was out doing chores this am. AS you will notice, the storm is coming from the west just covering the mountains. These are the Rocky Mountains and on a clear day we can see the snow and Longs Peak. The little town you see in the foreground is the town of Nunn, I think the population is around 450,elevation 5185, and growing. We have no gas station or bar, but we do have a little cafe, post office and telephone company. They are good people out here.
The animals seemed to not want to pose for me, they wanted to get down to the business of eating and being milked. Coco is seen here on the milk stand just after I milked her. I have an overhang connected to our hay shed when I milk but I am still open to the elements. At least I am protected from the rain, snow and wind unless they are coming from the south. the brown and black goat looking through the gate are Coca and my Little Orphan Annie, just about the sweetest goat on the planet if you ask me. I also have a picture of little Gabby a goat who I purchased from Niki in Arizona. Dosado was too busy eating.
Bear(aka Polar Bear) is my Great Pyrenees livestock dog, he is not yet a year old, but will be on April first. I got him from Debra in Northern Arizona, a fellow alpaca breeder. He is one of the best dogs I have ever had, well actually all my dogs have been the best, but he is such an asset around our little farm. Always on guard and so protective of the goats and alpacas. We are looking for another guard dog to protect his back so to speak. The Great Pyrenees is considered to be one of the oldest breeds of dog.
And last but not least is Pulitzer Prize, my blue ribbon reserve champion male alpaca, he is saying something to me, but I can't quite decipher it.
I will give more animal introductions when the weather and the pictures are better.

No comments:

Post a Comment